Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union

I watched the State of the Union address last night. As I watched I wondered what was in Harry Truman's address in 1951.
Mostly it was about the big bad wolf, the Soviet Union. The need to build bigger and better military and the need to train children to that end. Scary!
No wonder my generation grew up thinking we could protect ourselves by "duck and cover", no one told us that we could actually vaporize and that "duck and cover" was just a way to kiss your ass goodbye.
Today, we still have the same mentality. We have just changed enemies. We have gone from Russia, to China, to the Taliban. There will always be an enemy real or imagined. I believe that if we would just mind our own business that the peoples of the world wouldn't be out to kill us.
I listened to President Obama's speech. I don't believe that we have ever had such eloquence. I don't believe that we have ever had such a forward thinking administration. This administration sees our enemies and knows we must take action, but not destroy cultures as old as the beginning of time. There is a sense of what we really need to concentrate on, such as energy, our citizens right to a good education, a fairness in the distribution of wealth, our right to healthcare, and a right to our dignity as human beings.
Now, I know that some of my readers will loudly disagree. To these people, I can only say you are misguided and so very wrong when it comes to the true salvation of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment