Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27, 2011

This date in 1951 saw the close of "Peter Pan" on Broadway. It has been redone a couple of times since and aired on the television a couple of times, made into movies with some success.
Mary Martin will always been Peter Pan. She captured the "boy" perfectly. I really don't think anyone could do the role as well.
January of 1951 (from what my sister tells me) is that I was still in the hospital. I was supposed to arrive in March, but arrived early. I often wonder how a premature baby made it to life back then. Now there are all these warnings and fears for premature babies. Well, here I am 60 years later and other than the inability to understand complicated math, I think I did ok. The town I grew up in had no special natal units, no special doctors, nothing in the way of specialized care for preemies. So I guess by a stroke of luck, I made it.
Being nearly 10 years younger than my sister and 6 years younger than my brother, there isn't a lot of remembrances of my babyhood. Both Carole and Jim seemed to not notice me until I started to get into their toys and such.
I have a granddaughter that is just now looking at turning 2, her sister is 15. So there is about the same age gap between siblings. I hope that they form the same bond that my sister, brother and I have. It is special and wonderful.
I hope that this Monday finds everyone thankful for siblings. Call your sister or brother, they love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment