Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thoughts for Wednesday

Finally, it is March. March is one of those months that gives you hope. While not being as warm as July, the sun does bring the warmth of days promised.
I got my hair cut at the local Beauty Salon. I had never been to this particular salon and was a bit apprehensive, but it turned out well. I look a bit more like me again.
I am short and round and look stupid with long hair. When I do have my hair longer I have to keep it pulled up and away from my neck and face. I can't stand hair hanging on my neck. At 60 a ponytail looks stupid, unless your a drop dead beautiful movie star. No pretense that that look has ever happened in my life time. So it is better to keep it short. Looks much better.
I also have enough hair for me and two other people. It is strange hair. Straight on top and outer layer. Nappy and wavy underneath. I often wonder where that combination came from in my ancestry. When just washed and let to dry of it's on volition, there is a tendency to be very frizzy and point in all directions. This makes me crazy, a Then I have to dry it, curl it and hope for the best. Another reason to keep it short as this process is then a lot shorter and less hassle.
I remember when I was in high school the ideal was straight hair. I would straighten my hair with the goop that was called "Curl Free". When applied to your head it looked as though someone had blown their nose on you. It smelled awful. But it worked for about 6 weeks when I would have to do the process all over again.
Now they have this thing called the "Brazilian Blowout". It costs $350.00 and lasts a couple of months. It is a tremendous amount of work and insanely expensive. I think my curl free was maybe, 10 bucks. These folks are nuts to spend that kind of money.
I do love to go to a hometown Beauty shop. You hear all the latest gossip, news and complaints. Very funny.
My Aunt Lulu had a beauty shop and it was always fun to hang out there. My friend Jo-Ellen's mom was also a beautician. We would play for hours in that salon doing each other's hair. I can't imagine Maxine enjoyed the mess when we were done. We sure had a great time though.
I think about all the hair styles throughout my growing up years. My first haircut came when I was about 5. I had long hair and Mom would stand me on a dining room chair to comb it. I can remember yelling, "your killing me". Not long after that I got a "DA". Very short with a duck tail. I remember the name thinking that was a stupid name for a hair cut and why did haircuts have names. I don't think I really thought about hair until I was in Junior High. I can remember practicing putting rollers in my hair. When I roll my hair today, I do it exactly the same way that I learned way back then. In high school I remember sleeping under the hair dryer in bed. I wonder now if that was a safety hazard. I used enormous rollers to help make my hair straighter.
I saw a girl the other day that had one of those haircuts that is shorter in back and long in the front. I just had to laugh. That is exactly the way we wore our hair in the late 60's. I chatted with her for a few seconds and told her that I wore my hair that way 40 + years ago. She looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe so, but I have pictures to prove it.
Have a wonderful week to all the readers of this insane blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment