Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Women

I've been thinking about women and how our lives have changed. Mostly, about the women of my family and women I have known.
My family had extremely strong and outgoing women. My grandmothers, although vastly different, were strong in their own ways. Grandma Toberman was a proper Victorian lady. She required proper manners, no crying, no smoking, no dating anyone that might be a foreigner, after the age of 12 you were required to wear a dress or skirt at all times. She was no fun and way to rigid. Grandma Best was also a proper lady but was not as stern. She taught me to make "mud pies" and to decorate them with corn. She let me climb trees, play in the hayloft, milk the cow with grandpa and play at the piano. She was strong and intelligent.
The next generation of women included my mom (Margaret), my aunts (Lulu, Alberta, and Geraldine). My mom was a funny and outgoing woman. I think she always was put down by her mother and always felt less than her sister. As I said, my Grandma Toberman, was not a nice woman. However, my mom was strong. Dad was on the road a lot and so she was left to raise 3 kids, for the most part, alone. She had a wicked sense of humor and an even more determined sense of right and wrong. She was a strong Democrat and she hated Richard Nixon.
I think that is so funny. I am sure that is where I get my political views. Her humor is how she coped most of the time. She could make you laugh and wasn't afraid to make silly when needed. She did have a dark side. There was an abiding sadness. Sometimes, that was hard for my sister, brother, and I to take. I truly believe that we all knew that she loved us, but sometimes it was hard.
My Aunts were all strong women in their own right. Aunt Lulu suffered for decades with Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was a wicked evil disease. Her sense of humor was well in tact also. I think I will remember her laughter as long as I live. Aunt Alberta was a lovely caring woman. She had lost her husband early in life and raised their son Bill as a single woman. She also had a sense of silliness. Aunt Geraldine (Aunt Toots) was fun and loving. I always thought of her as the ultimate 50's woman. She was always dressed to the nines and ready to entertain at a moments notice. I don't think I ever saw her in anything but dresses and heels.
Now, we move on to my generation. My cousins: Mary, Beverly, Linda and then me and my sister. Mary was another of those perfect 50's women. Always dressed to the nines, perfect manners, a polite sense of humor, and a strong woman. Beverly, Linda, Carole and I are all for the most part more laid back. Beverly got the wicked sense of humor. She knows more jokes than anyone I know. Linda was always my idol. I thought the sun came up and set on Linda. I never could think of Linda as anything but perfect. Carole, my sister, well, I can't think of anything but that I am blessed to have her. She is my rock. Smart, funny, and strong.
There are women who will follow us, daughters and granddaughters to carry on the family. They are all wonderful young women. Then we also have the women who have married our sons. Thank goodness our sons were smart enough to marry wonderful, smart and funny women.
Well, here is to all the women, past, present and future. You come from a long line of wonderful, smart and funny women. Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment