Thursday, February 24, 2011

Feb. 22,2011

Sorry it has taken me so long to add to this blog. I've been wrapped in Bureaucratic stupidity for the last few days.
Granted, I am the world's worst procrastinator and tend do things last minute or late, but this has been pure insanity.
My drivers license expired on my birthday. We didn't have the ridiculous sum of near $70.00 to get it renewed. So now that we have come up with the money, I have to prove to these idiots who I am. I have a Social Security card, but again (due to procrastination) I just never changed my name on it. Oh my, that is a major sin according to the government. So instead of just taking all the tiny bits of paper and other stuff with my name on it and my SS #, I had to prove that indeed I am who I am. Not an easy task, when you really don't want to be who you are in the first place.
So after hours spent in the SS office and getting that mess straightened out, I will be off to the DMV to spend hours to renew my drivers license. I am sure that by the end of the day I will be in a lovely mood and will nearly be "postal".
OK, so that explains where I have been. In case you were wondering.
Last weekend was wonderful. Both Hannah and Christopher were here. It was great to have them here.I love to hear their laughter and just visit. Oh, and I got a couple of hugs and a kiss or two. Happy Grandma here.
I also want to rant on this whole thing with the Unions. Did you know that the first union protest was......are you ready........ Laborers protesting the Royal Taxation at the Boston Tea Party? I wonder if those idiot Tea Parry of to day would admit to that? Oh yes, I suppose they would do their usual whining about how the rich are so over taxed. In 1773, Philadelphia printers had the first strike for wage increase. In 1834 "Mill Girls" in Lowell, Mass. struck for the protection from wage cuts.
The Unions have a long history of protecting workers from the rich and powerful. Without them our labor force would be without minimum wages, health care, and a million other things that management would love to deny its workers.
We are a union household. Granted, there have been times when I wanted to scream at the Union Rep. for not doing his job, but all in all, the Union has provided for a good living.
If you have read all the entries on this blog you will know where I stand politically and know that I support the middle and lower class citizens. So get use to this ranting, it may go on for a very long time.
Now, on to more of the silly thoughts that have entered my 60 year old head. Last night there was a small discussion of "swashbuckling pirates". I wondered what a "swash" was and why did it require a buckle. Then I thought of Johnny Depp (my favorite pirate). He did swashing to a fault. Or at least, what I think of swashing would be. However, it does mean to be rough, noisy, and boastful. The buckle has something to do with the way a sword is held in a fight. I still prefer Depps portrayal of a pirate. Just a tad on the feminine side with a swish in the walk.
Fernandina Beach, Florida has a weekend festival called the Shrimp Festival. It is parades, arts, food and loads of fun. Lots of shrimp to eat in a variety of ways. Also there are Pirates everywhere. Fun and bawdy. If you ever get a chance to come to Florida, you really should go to the Shrimp Festival. I have enjoyed every year since moving here.
I do hope to keep up a little better on this writing. Oh, a news flash.......I have lots of Robins in yard today. So those of you who live in the north, it won't be long and they will be on their way to a yard near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment