Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Random Thoughts

Being at the start of what sociologist call "young old", I have found that there often moments where my mind wonders and wanders. Because our mind controls the rest of our being it is often this wondering and wandering that finds us thinking random thoughts. Also, because our minds are having these random thoughts at inconvenient times we tend to embarrass ourselves. When this happens all a person can do is sit back a laugh uncontrollably and try not to embarrass ourselves very much.
A few weeks ago, I went shopping. Shopping every few weeks is fun. I never buy much, but I love going to the junk stores and looking. While I was out and about I thought I would call my daughter-in-law and make arrangements to meet her and my granddaughter. The following is why you shouldn't talk on the phone while driving. Especially a very large pick- up truck. I called and we decided to meet at a little strip mall. Well, I then noticed that I had just left that mall and was now past it. Ok, so just turn around. Not so easy for me. I turned to the left and was going to proceed through another strip mall. I didn't realize until I had turned that I was going in the out way. They have a curb built so people won't enter that way. Thank goodness I have a very large pick- up truck.
Can't stop a grandma on a mission. Boom, Boom, over the curbs I went. I am sure the folks at the rather trendy upscale store were having a stroke. A large red pick up, with a gray haired granny, and an Obama for President bumper sticker gunning the motor to get over the curb. Now I have the giggles thinking about what these uppity people must be thinking.
I finally get back to where I was to meet up with my girls. I parked the truck and it occurred to me that I should get out and check the tires and such things because that was a pretty good bump that I had given this old truck. The truck looked ok but I noticed that the wind had picked up and it was getting a little chilly. Back in the truck I tried to put on my cardigan sweater. For most folks this is a simple task. Not me! For some reason I couldn't get the arm holes to accept my arms. I tried to put the sweater on three times to no avail. It was then I noticed a man sitting in a car a few parking spots in front of me. Good grief! I hoped that this man was not watching me fighting with my sweater. Then I got the giggles again. How weird it must be to watch a woman wrestling with her sweater. It is such a simple chore, she must have mental problems. Yeah, well he may have had that one right.
By the time my girls showed up, I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard.
Now on to other random thoughts on aging. Phone calls made in the morning will not be remembered by nightfall. I was talking with my sister and had asked what she would like for Christmas. She stated a couple of things that she would like. We went on to chat about our dogs and our schedules for the day. By the time nightfall came, I no idea what she had told me about Christmas. So I had to call and ask again.
This isn't an isolated incident. I had thought of something that I needed to ask my youngest son. I emailed and asked that he call me when he got off work. Again, by nightfall, I had no idea what it was I wanted to know. I twisted my pea size brain all day and just couldn't remember what it was that I needed to know. When he called all I could do was laugh! Thank goodness he just kept chatting until I finally remembered. Sometimes, I think he just chats using "key" words in the hope that I will remember the question. It must be like rebooting a very old computer.
I have found that these little lapses in memory and abilities that slow me down are really funny. It is like I am a science project on aging. I don't find it frustrating or bothersome (other than the occasional embarrassment) because most of the time it is just to funny.
So to all of you out there who are still young, as you age keep laughing. There is nothing you can do to avoid it, so you may as well have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment