Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Holidays are here. Let me tell you, dear reader, that I am a scrooge. I see no point of all the crazy hubbub. I get cranky. I have never been a fan of the season.
Oh yes, I know the adage "the reason for the season". Ya, well, I happen to think that if we are going to celebrate one religion, we should celebrate all religions equally. Plus, being a non-Christian I feel that I am forced into all this joy and goodwill.
Don't get me wrong. I love seeing my Grandchildrens'faces delight in the holidays. I love their wonder and excitement. It has always been the best part of the holidays. Other than those lovely little faces and the ooohs and ahhs, that is about it for my enjoyment.
Oh and I forgot about the food. I use to do the cooking, but over the years that has been given/taken over by the younger crowd. I don't really care, and the food is wonderful and I don't have to stress if it all got done and is tasty. Thank goodness my boys married girls that are good cooks or can do a decent job of the holiday dinners themselves.
I do miss my Grandma Toberman's chicken and noodles, and her wonderful spice cake. I miss Grandma Best's fried chicken and Angle food cake. I miss my Mom watching to smoke rise from the oven and saying, "Shit, the rolls!" My bother-in-law, Denny would always respond, "That's ok Margie. A little carbon helps filter out the system". I miss my cousin Larry saying grace as "Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, first to the table gets the most". We have always been a bit irreverent. Funny, but irreverent.
So now it is on to trimming the house in green and red. Pretty lights, and bows. Only to have to take it all down again in a month.
As my husband and I came home from my son's Thanksgiving night, there were houses that already had their Christmas lights on and decorations out. I feel like Charlie Brown, "Good Grief"!
I worked at Hallmark stores for many years. I feel so bad for anyone who is working retail this time of year. While the season is supposed to be happy and merry, there are some real assholes out there that a retail person would gladly shoot. So, I try very had to be as nice as possible when shopping this time of year. I have been known to point out to someone that they are being an asshole, when I see some new cashier or service person near tears. Until you have waited on someone, tried to help someone, or have been a cashier; don't be mean. What ever is the problem is usually not their fault.
Now, on the gift giving. This year I have decided to give the silliest thing possible to each and everyone on my list. Something they may never use, but when they look at it they will know that it could only have been given by me.
My sister told me a day or two ago what she would like from me. Hello, that was a day or two ago. I don't remember what she said, so I asked her and she couldn't remember either. Soon, we not even remember why we are sending gifts to each other. Or we may call and not remember who or why we are calling. Old age is an interesting time. Mostly funny and an amazing journey.
Well, folks, one more month to go and my 60th year will be over. What, oh what should I write about then?

No comments:

Post a Comment