Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween and Zombie Spiders

Zombie spiders have come to my front door just in time for Halloween. No, they are not toys nor made of plastic with tiny motors to make them come to life. These are real and very BIG spiders. Here is the tale of the Zombie spiders.
Last week I went out to get the mail. Here in rural Florida we still have mail boxes at the end of the drive way. Upon returning with my daily mess of junk mail and a bill or two, I noticed a huge spider in the bushes next to the door. Let me note here: I am insanely scared of all creepy crawlies. My brain tells me, "they are much smaller and more scared of you". My heart tells me, "oh crap, look at how big that bug is". An insect may not hurt me but it can make me hurt myself in trying to escape its presence.
Anyway, I declared war on this spider. Go for the chemicals. (Dow chemical would be so proud of me). I will admit that I do have a tendency to drown the subject way before any chemical has a chance to take affect. My attempt at the use of bug spray was useless. I could almost hear the spider laugh in a tiny little voice. Have you ever seen the original 1960's version of the "Fly"? If you have you will know the tiny little voice I heard. Only this time the voice was saying, "ha, I laugh at you and your chemicals".
Time to pull out anything that might stop this monster. You might know that, (in my mind), this spider is now getting larger by the moment.
I have a craft room off the screen porch for all my little projects. Aha! Spray glue! That should stop him in his tracks. A quick spray and that seemed to stop him. My turn to laugh and feel that I had won the battle.
Day two of the Zombie spider battle. Again, out to the mail box for the daily load of junk. Coming back to the door, I noticed (NO, IT CAN'T BE) the Zombie spider! Come back to life. This time I used spray fixative. Again this seemed to stop him in his tracks. His web now covered in an assortment of modern chemical warfare.
Whew! Finally victory on battlefield of the front door. Or at least I thought!
Day three of Zombie spider battle. Again, to the mail box and back to the door. I am doomed! As I looked to see if the Zombie was indeed dead, I noticed a movement on the other side of the door. Dang, there is now his Mom. Bigger, badder and much scarier. Zombie Mom spider seemed to be glaring at me with her multitude of eyes. ( I am not sure about that, but it seemed possible). I had lost the battle. I needed a Prince to my rescue.
My prince came in the guise of my Grandson. He laughed at my tale of the Zombie Spiders and simply took care of the matter with a shoe. Ha, I never thought of that!
Happy Halloween to all my friends and family. BOO!



No comments:

Post a Comment