Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011

There is finally a chill in the air here in North Florida. If you will remember, some time ago, I mused on where my internal temperature was the most comfortable. Well, when I went to bed last night I was aware that is would be cool this morning. I refused to turn the AC on for another night. Opened a window and turned on the fan. That didn't work so well. We have one very small window that opens in our bedroom, so it took most of the night to cool down. I awoke this morning and it was 48 outside. Ahhh, the wonderful cool. I opened the doors and turned the ceiling fans on to cool the rest of the house. Duh, that took about 10 minutes. It got down right cold. Shut the doors and turn the heat on to take the chill off. My attire went from tank and pj bottoms, to t-shirt and pj bottoms, to socks, jeans, and 3/4 length sleeve top. The heat is still on until the sun moves enough to warm the house. Then I will reverse the attire for the day. It is hard being temperature challenged.
Yesterday, I spent a wonderful afternoon with my daughter-in-law. We went to lunch and then shopping. We laughed and it was wonderful to spend some time with her.
While we were eating lunch we noticed a bunch of "Red Hat" ladies. I just don't get that society. They look so silly. Maybe that is the point. I wondered what would make someone join such a seemingly stupid group. I wondered if they were rejected cheerleaders, sorority girls past their prime, or just needed something to belong to. Maybe all the above.
One of the ladies seemed to be the one in charge. She wore a huge hat with very large feather plumes in it. She resembled a cartoon character. She was at the head of the table and seemed to be the one giving the instructions to the rest of the seemingly adoring fellow chickens. It was fascinating to watch these 60-something women.
I came home, put on a new CD of blues music, had a glass of wine, and played with my basset hound, Lyle Love-it. I truly think as I get older the more rebellious I become. I like that. I like the freedom of my age to say and react as I want. I like the fact that I don't really give a hoot who likes me and who doesn't. There seems to be a lot less pressure to conform at this age.
So maybe the "Red Hat" ladies are rebelling in their own way but I really like the fact that I don't need to dress up in silly clothes or belong to a group.
On to history of the year 1951. In October of 1951, "I Love Lucy" debuted on CBS. Now you can see reruns of Lucy somewhere on T.V. nearly everyday. Lucille Ball was wonderful comic, but more than that she was one of the first strong business women. She knew what worked and what didn't about her talent and her business.
Also pertaining to women of the 50's and 60's, a Mexican chemist, Luis E. Miramontes synthesized the first oral contraceptive. This would free women forever from the fear of unwanted pregnancies and free women to pursue and achieve things beyond their biology. It would also, allow families to grow at a rate that allowed for real success. Especially the middle class. Seems that some would like to take that away these days.
There was an alarming amount of Nuclear testing. Both the US and Russia racing to see who could destroy who first. The really scary part of all that is that now we have every rouge government in the world trying to attain the same capabilities. There are powerful idiots all over the world looking to promote their agendas with this capability. The USA has just as many crazies wanting that power as any other nation in the world. Scary!
Well, as we move into fall, the autumn of my 60th year, I am finding that there is a reflection of who I am, and wonder who I will become. There are so many possibilities. I do know however, that I will not be wearing purple with red, nor big silly hats with feathers. Ha, I can't even decide what I will wear the rest of damn day.
Happy October, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment