Sunday, September 25, 2011

September catch up

September is nearly over. For most folks that means the weather is cooling and leaves are starting to change. Here, in North Florida, it is still very hot and very humid. Our fall comes near the end of October. The oak trees do shed their leaves and we get cooler days. The coolness will be a welcome relief this year. We have had a very very hot and humid summer.
Thank goodness, only one real hurricane threat this year. However, we do still have a month to go before we can rest easy.
September brought my oldest son's 40th birthday. He is an amazing man. Of course, I had to tease him a bit about being the big 40. He got me back in fine form. I called him on his birthday, and as soon as he answered there was no "hello", it was "so, how old do you feel right now". Yep, he was right. I find it hard to believe that I have a 40 year old son. Also hard is that my baby boy, is 34. Can that really be possible? That these two boys are now middle aged! When I look at them, all I can see are those little boy faces. I don't see the receding hairlines. I don't see the laugh lines around the eyes. I don't see that they are now so much taller than I am. I still see my boys. Thank goodness their laughter hasn't changed. I do love to hear them laugh. It is music to my heart.
September has also moved me one more month ahead in the journey of being 60. I've noticed that to see the guide on the television I have to put my glasses on and to hear someone on the phone I have to make sure the volume is at maximum. I walk a tad bit slower after a day of shopping. My stomach that once loved tacos or a bowl of popcorn before bed, now engages my brain with the question of, "really? you want this now or major heartburn later".
I did learn that I can still dance. Last week as I was walking back from our mail box a snake slithered in front of me. Oh you should have seen the "oh crap a snake" dance I did in my front yard. I haven't moved that fast for a very long time. I am sure my neighbors got a chuckle out of it. No one has admitted to seeing it though.
September has been quiet. One more month to put away on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment