Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Education (yes, again)!

June 30, 1951 the NAACP begins their push against segregation in the public school systems. With some success the goal has been met, however, it all depends on how deeply you look.
Here in Florida and much of the south, there are private schools that cater to a segregation of sorts. Some are Christian schools, others are just very private and uppity. There are those districts, that because of the area they are in, are afforded to only those children whose parents live in mini-mansions, gated communities. Other less fortunate kids are stuck with inner-city schools that continually fail to perform to some perceived goal. These schools are not supported by a wealthy tax base.
So, I guess it is how you look at the topic of segregation to see if the lofty goals of each child getting their deserved education really has taken place in the last 60 years. I don't think it has.
60 years of trying to solve larger questions than the human mind can comprehend. Until, all people are seen as equals, treated as equals, true goals will never happen.
As a 60 year old, I don't know why such things bother me. My kids are grown and out of the school system, even my grandchildren are nearly done with the Public education system. None the less, it does indeed bother me. Every child should be given the opportunity to succeed, no matter his economic standing. Arrrrgh! I want to scream!
At 60 years of age, I think I see the injustice more clearly. Not just of education, but basic human rights.
Yet, I watch the rants of the Right and am amazed at the narrow little minds that prevail in the world.
Please, someone tell me that I am not the only one who sees that to survive, we must now think of humanity and not nationality, religion, or gender.
Ahhh, the rants of an old woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment