Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 9, 2011 Mother's Day

What a lovely day. Sun is shining and it is warm. It is Mother's Day, so I thought I would take this opportunity to write about Moms.
My Mom was a combination of strength, love, and humor. My Dad was a truck driver and on the road a lot. So it was up to Mom to raise three kids, keep everything going and try not to crack under the pressure. She was also the main caretaker for her mother. Not an easy task in any of it.
I would say that she was tough but I do believe that we all knew that she loved us.
Her humor was incredible. She would laugh at the littlest things and could laugh at herself as well. She also taught us three to laugh. One of her gifts to us. Carole, Jim, and I are always finding something to bring a smile and a laugh. And we certainly laugh at ourselves.
She taught us to be passionate about our beliefs. She was a woman who was not afraid to stand up for herself, her kids, or her beliefs.
A born Democrat, and successfully, made both of her daughters into strong Democrats. The son, got wrapped up in all the hate that the Republican party adheres to, so she lost her battle with that one. She wasn't one to back down when it came to politics or her beliefs.
She died at a very young age, 54. It seems incredible that she has been gone for nearly 40 years. I miss her, but I don't think she would have enjoyed becoming a very old woman. So, while death took her young, maybe that is the way she would have preferred to be remembered.
Now with kids and grandchildren of my own, I find that I compare myself to her. She knew that being a parent was not a popularity contest. I find that some that I know think parenthood is just that. It never works. So I have said to my boys and grands that, I am not in this to be popular. I am here to love them and that is the bottom line.
Oh, I've had my boys tell me they hated me. And my reply was always, "Well, I love you". They have pointed out that I was stupid, only to find out that this was not necessarily the case. Especially, when they had their own children. Amazing, how smart your own parents get once you have kids of your own.
But, I've had my boys' love and I know it. They have always proven it in little ways. A hug or a peck on the cheek. A phone call when they haven't talked to me in a while. The sparkle in their eyes when I can make them laugh. It is all there. Wrapped in two men's eyes. A sparkle that brings an untold warmth and love to my heart.
You will never know how much your Mom loves you until you have loved your own children. Sometimes it's to late to let Mom know that you learned this lesson. If your Mom is still with you, let her know everyday that you love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment