Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Illinois State Fair was just a week ago and I am thinking how much I would love to go to the Fair just one more time in my life.
The State Fair was something that our family never missed. It meant getting everyone together and heading to Springfield for an entire day. We arrived as the gates were opening and staked out a couple of tables and plenty of chairs in the Farm Bureau tent. It was located behind the Dairy Building. This was a good place to meet and always used as the center of the Fair day. Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, or Dad would be there waiting for us at the end of the day for the journey home.
The Dairy Building was a wonderful place. There was always a sculpture made out of butter. Usually, a full size cow made of Butter. I always wondered how long it took to sculpt it and how much butter was used. One other thing about the Dairy Building was the cheese sandwiches and chocolate milk. I have never found a cheese that was that full of flavor, or colder chocolate milk.
After the visit to the Dairy Building we were off to see the cows, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. However, the favorite of Daddy's and mine were the mules. What wonderful animals they are. There is such intelligence in their eyes. I've always wanted a mule not to work, but for a pet.
Next, it was off to look at all the new farm equipment. Shiny new John Deere tractors, the latest combines and corn pickers. You could see the wishes rolling of Grandpa, Daddy, and Uncle Wayne.
There was a visit to the 4-H Building to see all the exhibits of the 4-H kids. Always fun to see the projects they came up with and if you knew anyone who had won a Blue ribbon.
Next, it was off to the Exposition Building. This building contained all the handiwork of the people of Illinois. Pies, Cakes, canning jars full of fruits and vegetables, handmade quilts. Wonderful to see the talent of the people of Illinois.
One year when I was very little, my sister and a friend took me to ride the rides when a huge rain storm came up. We got lost and ended up at the fire station. I remember that a kind fireman wrapped me in his coat and took us to the Farm Bureau tent to find Mom and Dad. I will never forget how scared we were.
In later years, as teens, we would go to the Fair to ride the carnival rides in an area known as "Happy Hollow". Also, to see the Grandstand Show and fireworks that followed. I got to see "Paul Revere and the Raiders", "The Beach Boys" and several other 60's groups there. Always great fun!
I've not been to the fair in over 40 years now, but I sure would like a cheese sandwich, chocolate milk and see a few mules again.
If you get to go to a State Fair don't pass up the opportunity. You never know what magic they really are.


No comments:

Post a Comment